Skip to content


March 19, 2012


If the gift funds are in the borrower’s account, then we must obtain:

  • A copy of the withdrawal document showing that the withdrawal was from the donor’s account, and
  • The borrower’s deposit slip and borrower’s bank statement showing the deposits

We MUST be able to determine that the gift funds were not provided by an unacceptable source and were the donor’s own funds.

To meet the first bullet point, an acceptable procedure is obtaining a copy of a canceled personal check.  If the gift funds are in the form of a cashier’s check or the like, we must be sure to provide evidence that the funds used to purchase the cashier’s check came from the donor.  A withdrawal slip (specifically showing the donor’s account number/donor’s name from which the funds were obtained) would be sufficient evidence, along with a copy of the cashier’s check.

If a donor bank statement is received, please be sure to look for red flags regarding the gift.  For example, if there is a deposit for $5,000 in a close time period to the gift withdrawal of $5,000, the source of this deposit should be questioned to ensure it complies with the FHA gift rule that the gift funds are not derived in any manner from a party to the sales transaction.


A borrower of a loan secured by a principal residence or second home may use funds received as a personal gift from an acceptable donor.  Gift funds may fund all or part of the down payment, closing costs, or reserves, subject to the minimum borrower contribution.  Gifts are not allowed on an investment property.

We must verify that sufficient funds to cover the gift are either in the donor’s account or have been transferred to the borrower’s account.  Acceptable documentation includes the following

  • a copy of the donor’s check and the borrower’s deposit slip,
  • a copy of the donor’s withdrawal slip and the borrower’s deposit slip,
  • a copy of the donor’s check to the closing agent, or
  • a settlement statement showing receipt of the donor’s check.

When the funds are not transferred prior to settlement, we must document that the donor gave the closing agent the gift funds in the form of a certified check, a cashier’s check, or other official check.


First, complete a loan application on our website
-Go to
-Click on Apply Now at the top
-Scroll to the middle of the page and Click on 3. Full Application

915 Highland Pointe Dr Ste 250, Roseville, CA 95678 Office 877-277-9922 Fax 866-598-9987

No comments yet

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: