Skip to content

What are the Guidelines for Gifted Funds?

March 2, 2014

Home on $


If the gifted funds are in the borrower’s account, then we must obtain:

  • A copy of the withdrawal document showing that the withdrawal was from the donor’s account, and
  • The borrower’s deposit slip and borrower’s bank statement showing the deposits

We MUST be able to determine that the gifted funds were not provided by an unacceptable source and were the donor’s own funds.

To meet the first bullet point, an acceptable procedure is to obtain a copy of a cancelled personal check.  If the gifted funds are in the form of a cashier’s check or the like, we must be sure to provide evidence that the funds used to purchase the cashier’s check came from the donor.  A withdrawal slip (specifically showing the donor’s account number/donor’s name from which the funds were obtained) would be sufficient evidence, along with a copy of the cashier’s check.

If a donor bank statement is received, please be sure to look for red flags regarding the gift.  For example, if there is a deposit for $5,000 in a close time period to the gift withdrawal of $5,000, the source of this deposit should be questioned to ensure it complies with the FHA gift rule that the gifted funds are not derived in any manner from a party to the sales transaction.

100% of the down payment and closing costs/pre-paid expenses can be in the form of a gift.  Some down payment programs require a specific amount of funds come from the buyer’s personal funds.  Make sure to ask your loan officer for guidelines prior to submitting your offers.


USDA follows the same guidelines as FHA; however, USDA borrowers can receive gift funds from charitable organizations, nonprofits and even municipalities.


A borrower of a loan secured by a principal residence or second home may use funds received as a personal gift from an acceptable donor.  Gifted funds may fund all or part of the down payment, closing costs, or reserves, subject to the minimum borrower contribution.  Gifts are not allowed on an investment property.

We must verify that sufficient funds to cover the gift are either in the donor’s account or have been transferred to the borrower’s account.  Acceptable documentation includes the following:

  • a copy of the donor’s check and the borrower’s deposit slip,
  • a copy of the donor’s withdrawal slip and the borrower’s deposit slip,
  • a copy of the donor’s check to the closing agent, or
  • a settlement statement showing receipt of the donor’s check.

When the funds are not transferred prior to settlement, we must document that the donor gave the closing agent the gifted funds in the form of a certified check, a cashier’s check, or other official check.

Borrowers seeking a conventional loan who can’t put down at least 20 percent must have at least 5 percent of their own funds in the loan.

Read more about our loan programs by clicking here.

Need expert loan advice?  Email us your loan scenario at or give us a call at 800-385-3657!

Visit Our Website:


Job Opportunities? CA BRE NMLS Mortgage Loan Officers (Brokers are welcome), Real Estate Agents, & Account Executives.  Ask about our Branch Opportunities.  Now is the time to see how PMC Can Help you earn what you deserve!  Email your resume to and visit us at!

Follow our Mortgage on:

Follow our Realty on:

No comments yet

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: